Thursday, May 03, 2007

Spiderman 3

I caught the national premiere of Spiderman 3 last night and the special effects can't make up for the lousy story and poor acting.

The good

  • Pay attention to the outstanding soundtrack by Christopher Young. This was the only thing keeping the show together.
  • I like how Peter Parker finds his mojo and becomes a poor imitation of Austin Powers. Oh yes watch for his fancy Tango!
  • Special effects are nice. Nothing fancy. The Sandman was a cross between Terminator 2 and Imhotep from The Mummy. Fight scenes? I was more impressed by the Matrix.
  • Ummm I guess that's it.
The bad
  • The story has no cohesion; no flow. The characters had no depth. Somehow I had this feeling that they had a bunch of cool special effects they wanted to show and tried to build a story around it.
  • The acting. Oh the acting makes me weep. Most of them wear the same expression all throughout the movie. I've seen better acting from the students of Singapore Polytechnic!
  • The movie is cheesy. Cheap dialogue, clichés, Spidey posing in front of a huge American flag, bending over a fallen friend as the sun rises in the background. Give me a break!
Conclusion:2/5 0
Two pawikan points. Bonus points for the audience who would burst out laughing at inappropriate moments because of the utter roll-your-eyes corniness of some of the scenes. I'd still tell you to watch it and see for yourself but I don't think it's worth queuing for.

No comments: